Sunday, December 22, 2019

Eco-Friendly Purses

Eco-Friendly Purses

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)

I didn't set out to sew eco-friendly purses. I sew because I love taking a fabric, combining prints and textures, and making something beautiful. Every piece of fabric tells a story, and I am lucky enough to be the narrator. 

The richest textures just happen to come from eco-friendly resources. Cork fabric is durable, has a buttery soft feel, and adds structure to a purse. Cotton can come in an endless variety of prints and colors, and adds a luxurious feel to a bag. With these two fabrics, I can tell a beautiful story.



A cotton canvas fabric can be combined with cotton rope handles to create an everyday market bag. *Side note: I created this bag and was worried about the cotton rope handles in button holes. So I tested it out by carrying it for a week. I toted my laptop, glass lunch dish, and a cork wristlet most days. The button holes haven't stretched, and the rope handles add a fun detail. After a week, I made a few more,  but have continued to carry mine, as it has become my favorite everyday market bag! It matches my cork wristlet, and gives a boho feel that compliments my style.
Creating eco-friendly bags wasn't my original mission, but has become my preferred fabric choices for sewing. The richness of the fabrics make beautiful bags.

Happy Shopping!
Karla

No comments:

Post a Comment