Thursday, December 26, 2019

Creative Additions to Zipper Wristlets

Creative Additions to Zipper Wristlets

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)


Can you sew a zipper pouch? (If not, check out my tutorial). Then you are ready to start making wristlet clutches! I love being able to make my own purses, and there are endless options to customizing your own purse when you know how to sew a zipper pouch.

I got into making my own purses because I hated working with patterns - the trace paper pieces, the millions of steps, not to mention refolding those trace paper pieces! I love that a wristlet is just different sizes of a rectangle. By adding layers on top of the rectangle shape of the zipper pouch, I can change the function and feel of the handbag. I taught myself to sew zippers, so if I can do this, any one can!

Here are some ideas for additions to your zipper pouch:
Cork Wristlet with pleated plaid pocket
*Simply add a pleated rectangular piece of fabric to one side of your cork before sewing the zipper.

Cork Wristlet with diagonal front phone pocket
*Cutting off one corner of a rectangle allows you to have the diagonal pocket. Attach the pocket to your cork before sewing the zipper.

Boho Wristlet Clutch
*Combining fabrics and adding a tassel detail gives a boho look to your zipper wristlet.
Suede and Cotton Wristlet
*Taking a cotton rectangle, add triangles of another textured fabric in the corners to create a rich feeling wristlet clutch.
Hand Strap Clutch Wristlet
*Using a slimmer rectangle, you can create a hand strap. Simply baste it to your cork fabric before sewing the left and right outside seams.

Bow Hand Strap Clutch
*Pinching the center of a rectangle creates a bow. Want to make it? Check out my tutorial here.

Each of these handbags starts with cutting out a rectangle for a zipper pouch. Adding the extra details allows you to create a style or customize it. I'd love to see what you come up with - feel free to snap a pic and post in the comment section.

Happy Sewing!
Karla


No comments:

Post a Comment