Friday, August 9, 2019

Tips for Layering Clothes

Tips for Layering Clothes

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)


I have to admit that I'm no longer so young, and part of aging is a rising body temperature (at least in my experience!) I love the look of layering, but I find myself quickly shedding the layers, and at the end of the day, I'm wearing just the basics.

So, how do you layer without adding warmth? You go for the idea of layers, without actually adding a ton of clothes! Think about it. The eye perceives layers because of the different fabrics, prints, and textures - not the bulkiness.
Use websites like www.shoplook.io to find ideas. 

Start with a basic (lightweight for me!) dress. Then add a ruana for texture and contrast. A ruana/kimono/cardigan/blazer/scarf are perfect additions for camouflaging body parts you may be self conscious about and most are open so that you are not adding warmth. Your shoes become your next layer - they can provide an interesting contrast in pattern, texture, or a pop of color.

Your last layer is the lightest: layering jewelry and a hand bag to complete the look. I'm not saying to layer so much jewelry that you are mistaken for Mr. T., but wearing a few mismatch bracelets, 2 necklaces, or even 2 kinds of dangling earrings gives the layering effect a boost. My favorite layer is the hand bag layer because it is a functional part of your outfit, but doesn't add any bulk or warmth to your clothes.

Have tips to add to this blog? Great! Leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment