Sunday, August 4, 2019

Ridiculously Easy Way to Sew a Straight Seam EVERY time!

Ridiculously Easy Way to Sew a Straight Seam EVERY time!

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)

You're going to think, well, duh, after reading these 3 ridiculously easy tips to sew a straight seam every time. But, I've seen enough sewing hacks on Pinterest Pins to know that not everyone understands the KISS principle. (Don't believe me? Look it up - you'll find a magnetic guide sewing foot, washi tape, and rubber-band suggestions.)

1. Cut straight lines

I'll be honest. It took me awhile to invest in a cutting mat and rotary cutter. "I had sharp scissors and am good at reading a ruler. I don't need all the fancy extras!" was my thinking. Boy, was I wrong!
Everything I made was a slightly different size, and was slightly angled. Cutting with scissors, even if you measure and mark a few spots along your cutting line, will never be as precise as using a rotary cutter. Do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars to get a rotary cutter, mat, and long ruler!

2. Iron straight folds

Once again, this seems like a no brainer, but we've all made that mistake. Ironing a crease for a zipper, hem, what have you, and it slopes a little. You figure you'll go ahead and sew, and if you sew a straight line, no one will ever know you ironed a little crooked. And what happens? Your seam is straight, but slopes! A hot hemmer is a great tool to help you iron straight folds. You can find it at fabric stores or on Amazon.

3. Use your foot as the guide

Always use the same spot on the foot, and change needle position for increased seam allowances.
Being consistent with where I place my foot
as my guide,I can get the same seam allowance
as well as get a straight seam, every time!
I always use the edge of the clear plastic/
inside edge of metal foot as my guide. 


No comments:

Post a Comment