Tuesday, July 16, 2019

7 Reasons to Start Sewing Bags and Purses

7 Reasons to Start Sewing Bags and Purses

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)

7. Time

30 minutes of sewing and I have a
Bow Hand Strap Clutch!
I don't know about you, but sewing a dress is a whole day project for me. (Usually, it's more than that because I procrastinate a few days about hemming the dress because it's my least favorite thing to do!) Sewing a bag takes me an hour - complete with cutting the fabric, ironing between steps, and any finishing touches.

6. Cost

I have this idea in my head that people sew because it is cheaper than buying store made items. I'm not sure where I got this idea, because as a sewist, I know how expensive fabric can be! Even with coupons and sales, jersey knit fabrics cost $15 or more. It also takes more than one yard to make many clothing items.
This price doesn't include using a coupon along with the sale price. This is from Joann's Fabric.
Many of the fabrics used for making bags is less than $10, and two yards can yield up to 8 bags! 

5. Mastery of Skills

Sewing jersey knits, or any fabric with stretch, takes a special talent (and a lot of patience!). Reading and following patterns, darts, hemming, necklines, armholes, etc. are all techniques commonly used when sewing apparel.
Straight seam along zipper and top of hand strap.
Using a color matching thread really camouflages
any small imperfections 😄
What skills do you need for sewing a bag? You need to be able to change your sewing machine needle, cut out a rectangle, and sew a straight line. That's it. Of course, as you progress, you add skills like sewing a zipper, using interfacing, sewing curves, and adding trim, but in reality, sewing a straight line is the biggest skill you need.

4. Elegance 

Me during Derby week at
Churchill Downs
I came across this article on Pinterest, "How to Look Effortlessly Elegant All the Time." The section on Accessories resonated with me because I truly see my purse as my final accessory. If my handbag makes a statement, I look put together. It's the act of a final thought before I walk out the door that helps to make me feel elegant. If I feel elegant, then I project that confidence. (If you've read the article, I'm sure you are trying to imagine what accessory I could have possibly taken off for the Chanel theory that less is more! 😂)

3. Gifts to Give

I gave everyone tote bags 4 years ago for Christmas.
They were a big hit and are still in use today!
The first picture to pop into my mind when I think of a handmade gift is the sweaters Grandma used to knit and give as Christmas gifts. Sewing a purse is definitely not that! Instead, it encompasses a functional gift that is personalized for the receiver. If you have mastered sewing a straight line, then your handmade gift will look professionally done, and be appreciated for your craftsmanship. 

2. Versatility

Most bags have the same rectangular shape - a crossbody, wristlet, clutch, and tote bag to name a few.  Once you have mastered sewing a straight line and cutting out a rectangle, you can play with your purse designs.
Add a pocket in an unusual way - like my favorite wristlet clutches with a diagonal phone pockets. You can mix patterns and prints to create a one of a kind bag. You can add trim and change the style of a bag. The skies the limit when you start designing!
A great example is the Hand Strap Clutch.  It's a variation on a zipper pouch - just look at all the ways one change can make the bag feel like a different style.

1. Individuality

A bag or purse always fits is one of my life mottoes. A store bought tote or wristlet is almost always made in leather of one color. The lining is a satin version of the outside color. Boring! When you sew your own bag, you can choose to mix and match prints, find an outside faux leather and an inside lining in a cotton print, whatever your heart desires! I for one, love a
Pop of Color 😉


Have ideas to add to my list? Leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment