Saturday, July 13, 2019

Tips for Creating High Fashion Homemade Bags and Purses

DIY High Fashion Homemade Bags and Purses

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)

This blog idea stems from the fact that I have a shopping compulsion when it comes to bags and purses. I love the feel, design, and functionality of a good purse, but hate the price tag. I have never been one to buy a bag because of the brand - and paying $200 for a purse I am going to carry once or twice a month depending on the occasion and outfit I'm wearing - seems a little frivolous. (Not to mention the husband wouldn't enjoy working an extra year before retiring to help finance my compulsion!) I mean, who has ever seen a specific brand someone is carrying and said, "I really like your purse because it is Coach!" No one!
So, I started designing and sewing my own creations. Here's a list of the rules I use to create a high fashion homemade bag.

Tip #1. Mix prints with textured fabric to create a luxurious feel.


A textured fabric gives an expensive feel. Think about your bed sheets. Those ones you had in college were super scratchy. As you have gotten older, you most likely buy your sheets by feeling for silkiness and thread count. The same concept goes for the outside fabric of your purse. If it feels high end, it will look expensive.

The top picture is a Modern Chevron print paired with a woven blue outdoor fabric. Neither fabrics were expensive, but the look of the thick woven strands is highlighted by the chevron print, making the weave more pronounced.

In the second picture, I used a faux leather as the base for this wristlet clutch. I chose this fabric because it is buttery smooth and pliant. It feels like a very expensive leather jacket, but is a fraction of the price (I paid $9 a yard plus 20% off my total purchase at Joann Fabric's for this faux leather.) Pairing the leather with the coral colors helps to bring out the rich brown, making the bag radiate luxury.


Tip #2. Choose a fabric with weight.

"Wait. I don't want my purse to be heavy - I have to lug it around!" I know that is what you are thinking, but there is a difference in weight and heavy when it comes to fabrics. In fact, this wristlet clutch weighs in at 3.7 ounces. However, the woven upholstery fabric is thicker and makes the bag feel like it has some heft without actually adding weight. When you hold a bag, like a clutch, in your hand, you don't want it to feel like paper. You want it to have a little weight so you know it is constructed with durability and fibers carefully woven into the fabric. (This upholstery fabric was $9 a yard with 30% off since it was in the clearance section at Joann's Fabric.)

Tip #3. Add an unexpected element.

 A bow hand strap clutch isn't something you see everyday. The uniqueness adds the designer feel, and exclusivity is a mark of high fashion. In addition to the bow hand strap, I used cork fabric. Cork fabric is one of the latest trends because it is eco-friendly, durable, and water proof. 

Paying attention to the small details is your chance to show off your creativity. A tote bag generally has a rectangular shape, boxed corners, and two straps. You can't change much about that, but you can add a leather loop and coconut button closure. This detail shows the time you took to execute even the smallest detail, making sure it is pretty and functional.




Tip #4. Pay attention to details from every angle.

The beauty of making your own purse is the fact you get to pick the fabric to match your mood/outfits/personal style. A purse needs to have interest from every angle to show the thought you put into creating it. One side of this Hand Strap Clutch is a tropical South American theme with the flower and parrot. The other side has palms, a tropical flower, and a riveted natural cork hand strap. No matter which way you are holding the purse, using the hand strap or wrist strap, there is a powerful image to view.

High fashion is about the power of an image. Taking time to examine your bag from every angle reflects the thought and craftsmanship of building a purse that is truly an accessory instead of just a necessity.




Tip #5. Show off your craftsmanship!


Those designer purses everyone craves come with a hefty price tag because of the quality of the materials and craftsmanship of the manufacturing. You can do the same on a budget! It's not the fact that I used a coupon and sale at Joann's fabric to pick up the natural cork fabric for $6.99 a yard. It's the fact that I sewed straight seams, have flat corners at the top, and double stitched every interior seam. This wristlet clutch is meant to last!

Taking time to line a toile with matching tassels highlights the print and shows off my sewing skills. When I get compliments on my handmade bag and I tell people I made it, I love to hear the exclamations as they take a closer look - people are always amazed it is possible to sew a bag that looks like you could buy it in a store.





Like any of the bags and purses you see? Check out these and my other designs at Pop of Color Bags!

Have more ideas to add to this blog? Please leave a comment 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment