Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sewing Bags and Purses: A Neglected Niche

Why You Should be Sewing Bags and Purses

by Karla Fidoe (owner and maker of Pop of Color Bags)

The Background

Yes, I can sew clothes. In fact, that is how I learned to sew - participating in 4-H fashion shows in outfits made from patterns. I don't sew many clothes for myself for two simple reasons: 1. I gain and lose weight like it's a competition and I'm going for gold. 2. It's more expensive than hitting up Old Navy during a sale.

During my first year of teaching in Durham, NC, I met a fiery teacher with the most outrageous (and enviable) shoe collection I've ever seen. It was definitely her signature. I asked her what led to such an unusual collection. Her response has stuck with me 17 years later - "I lived in Japan for a while. As a plus sized girl, the only thing that ever fit were the shoes." That comment led to my shopping philosophy. Never invest too much in one piece of clothing because size and fashion changes. A purse or shoes always fit!

I have a very eclectic fashion sense. I like to stand in front of the mirror in the morning, gauging if my outfit is ready for the world. I ask myself, "Is this too much, or just enough?" If I gauge my outfit as too much, I change something about it. If I gauge it as just enough crazy, in my opinion, that means it's an 11 out of 10 on the crazy scale, I know it's going to be a good day. I can pick up print tops and bottoms for way less than it takes to make them. I also believe it takes an artist to be able to mix and match prints and patterns so they look like they belong together and I want to show my skills in separates rather than sewing a dress with the same mash up.

Why you should be sewing bags and purses

Think about the outfit you wear which brings the most compliments. It's most likely not all one color and mass produced. Everyone around you isn't wearing the same exact outfit with the same exact jewelry. What makes the outfit compliment worthy? It reflects your individuality! So why do we settle for mass produced, look alike purses? We shouldn't!

My next reason is purely financial. I do most of my fabric shopping at Joann's - taking advantage of their sales and coupons. Plus, I can touch everything (the feel of the fabric helps me determine what I'll be able to do with it. A description on a website is not quite the same as seeing it in person!) If I want to make an above the knee, short sleeve swing dress, I would need close to 2 yards of fabric. Even on sale, I'm going to pay more than $10/yd. So, the dress would cost me $20 and a few hours.

Let's say I use the same fabric as pictured and decide to make wristlets measuring 10" x 6.5" x 0.5" instead. A yard would yield 4 bags, including pockets and a detachable wrist strap. I would also have a few scraps leftover to use for small coin pouches or these adorable wallets. Financially, it is more cost effective to sew a bag versus an article of clothing.

Convinced?

My sewing blog is dedicated to the styles and fashions of diy bags and purses. Join me on my adventures into creativity and help this niche shine! 

Want to see more of my work? Head on over to Pop of Color Bags or check out another sewing tutorial.

5 comments:

  1. This is likewise a decent post which I truly appreciated perusing. It isn't each day that I have the likelihood to see something like this.. make stickers at home

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may remark on the request arrangement of the blog. You should visit it's unbelievable. Your blog review would swell up your guests. I was extremely satisfied to discover this site.I needed to thank you for this incredible read!! collated printing deutsch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would embrace my profile is significant to me, I welcome you to take a gander at this subject... 24 hours printing shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful to you for your post, I scan for such article along time, today I find it finally. this post give me piles of incite it is to a great degree accommodating for me. photoshop make vector image

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much obliged to you for your post, I search for such article along time, today I discover it at long last. this post give me heaps of prompt it is extremely helpful for me. color copy by 55 printing

    ReplyDelete